Death Toll Rises to 17 in Indonesian Landslide

  • Publicado sábado 13 diciembre 2014 | 11:07 GMT -3
  • Asia
  • Enviar

Indonesia 1312Jemblubg, December 13, 2014.- The death toll in a landslide that destroyed a remote Indonesian village has risen from eight to at least 17, as rescuers pulled more bodies from the mud and rubble.

Nearly 100 people are still missing since the slide was triggered late Friday by torrential rains in Jemblung village in Banjarnegara district of Central Java province. The mud swept away more than 100 houses. Hundreds of people have been evacuated.

The national disaster agency said 15 people had been rescued. Eleven of those had to be hospitalized. The agency said hundreds of people, including police, soldiers and residents are digging through the debris with their bare hands, shovels and hoes searching for the missing.

More rain Saturday has hampered rescue efforts. Some heavy equipment has been brought in to help with the search.

The rainy season has begun in Indonesia, a time when landslides triggered by heavy downfalls and floods are common.



Sobre WordPress